Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I caught The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug during my long Christmas break.   To be honest, watching The Hobbit in parts has sort of diminished my enjoyment of watching motion picture in the big wide screen.   Let's face it.  We have watched LOTR in 3 parts and The Hobbit in 2 installations.  I find myself no longer thrilled by the magnificent landscape, the special effects and fantasy, simply because I expected them.    

Nevertheless, the movie is still enjoyable as you follow the journey of Bilbo and the dwarves to Lonely Mountain to reclaim the Arkenstone and come face-to-face with Smaug. I vaguely recalled an interesting conversation and riddles between Bilbo and Smaug and for the life of me, I really don't remember a Wood Elf and Dwarf falling in love.   Hmm... I guess I better read the book once more before watching the 3rd installment of this movie. 

Rating:  5 out of 5 fairy clouds.   The story is definitely more lively in than book than the screen.   I suspect a number of parts were taken out in order to create the grand image of middle earth.  Those nuggets are the things which make you fall in love with Bilbo Baggins, the Hobbit from the Shire.   Still, it is fun to escape from reality, flying into the world of the made-believe and magic. 

No comments: